Friday, October 28, 2011

First Sewing Project

I finally decided that it was time to learn how to sew. It also helped that my Mom said she would buy me a machine if I wanted to learn. Thanks Mom!!! I thought I'd start out with a project that was simple and cheap. We've been wanting a plastic bag holder for a while so I found this idea online.

You use a dish towel, turn it inside out, fold it in half the long way, and sew up the side. I decided to iron my dish towel before sewing and it totally stretched it out so the edges were way off. It made sewing a straight line a bit more tricky.

Then I flipped it right side out, cut the bottom seam on both ends of the bottom of the dish towel, ran some elastic through, and tied knots on the end. You can really see how poorly the fabric lined up.

Then I figured out where I wanted to sew the handle on. (You can see later that I changed my mind after this picture, but you get the idea.)

And whala...you have a plastic bag holder. Could it be any more simple than that? Okay, so not really that exciting but I'll make better stuff in the future. But for now we no longer have a towering shelf of plastic bags in the top of our cupboard that we pray won't topple over every time we add another one.

3 comments: