Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween & Peppers

We got this costume for Jovie and realized after the fact that we didn't know how we were going to match her. I didn't think Kell would go for the mouse idea so we tried to think of something else. But two days before Halloween we got desperate and just decided to go for it. It wasn't his most manly costume ever, but I thought he looked pretty cute. Not as cute as Jovie though.

A few weeks ago we saw some new neighbors moving in. I remember first seeing them and hoping that they were members. Then next Sunday we saw them at church. I guess that's one benefit of living in mormon land. They have two little boys and one is a month and a half older than Jovie. How perfect. I seriously love having them as neighbors. I'm pretty sure I've gone over there every day this week. I should probably buy some popcorn and take it over there so we don't eat all of theirs...and maybe some pop...and candy.

We carved our pumpkins at our neighbors. You would think carving them three days before Halloween would be okay right? No. They started getting moldy Sunday and by Monday morning they were completely covered in green fuzz on the inside, sagging, and getting rotten pumpkin juice everywhere. They were thrown in the garbage Halloween night.

I had this great vision in my head before I carved my pumpkin. It looked really cool. Then I carved it and it looked ugly. I got kinda lazy and didn't try to make it look nice. And the rainbow should have more stripes. And there should be a circle around the s. Can you tell what I was going for? But most importantly we cooked the pumpkin seeds and they were delicious...so not a complete failure.

Halloween morning I put our dinner together in the crock pot. It had serrano peppers in it which are very hot. So I cut everything up and put it in the pot. I washed my hands and continued with my day. At some point I scratched my nose and within a few seconds it started to burn!!! And not just on the side I scratched. Apparently I breathed it in through my nostril and out the other one which burned just as much as the other side. TMI? Well, lets just say my eyes were watering and my nose was a faucet. I literally felt like I was breathing fire out of my nose. So what do I do to stop the burning? I stupidly thought I would wash it with soap and water. More intense burning followed. The only thing I could come up with to stop the burning was milk. So I drenched some pieces of paper towel with milk and shoved them up my nose. Pretty huh? ...So if you ever cut up hot peppers you might want to wear gloves.

This is one advantage of having a baby. Especially one that doesn't even eat the candy so we get it all :)

Our ferocious cat!

Okay, not so ferocious.


Big buns comin' through!

5 comments:

  1. The thumb sucking picture is the best. That mouse is way more manly than a candy corn dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skittles. Taste the rainbow. Am I on the right post or am I one too late? I love the burning nostrils milk photo. And event. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you better bring your own snacks next time. I have matches in my kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally did that with the peppers. It was so sad. I made this delicious pasta and could hardly enjoy it. I ate with one hand and held ice to my face with the other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! LOVE the costumes.

    My sister cut up some peppers. But then she went to the bathroom. And well... the ending involved "slathering yogurt" on the affected area. I will leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete